Monday, January 9, 2012

BR: 2500pts HE vs. DoC


I had this game about a week ago but people on Ulthuan.net is complaining about my lack of battle reports.  So... I'll write this one up even though it was a pretty unimpressive game.

My list:
Lv.4 Archmage with Book, Shadow Lore
Noble BSB with GW, AoC, GP
Lv.1 Mage w/ Sigil, High Lore
32x Spears w/ FC, Lion Standard
30x Spears w/ FC
20x Phoenix Guard w/ FC, Banner of Sorcery
30x White Lions w/ FC, Banner of Eternal Flame
12x Sword Masters w/ Musician
2x Great Eagles

His list:
Lv.4 Chicken Lord w/ re-roll and Loremaster Life
Khorne BSB w/ AoK and Great Standard of Sundering
Changeling in a unit of Lv.3 Wizard Horrors
Slaanesh Herald w/ Siren Song in a big unit of 30x Daemonettes w/ FC,
Big unit of 30x Bloodletters w/ Khorne Herald
Small MSU unit of Flesh Hounds
6x Flamers of Tz
3x Fiends of Slaanesh
5x Seekers w/ FC

  • I think that's it off the top of my head, but I won the roll to go first.  We played Battleline.  I get Mindrazor, Withering, Pit and Miasma for spells.
  • Deployment looked something like.. WL, Lion Spears, Spears, PG, SM, with Eagle1 behind the Lion Spears and Eagle2 behind the Sword Masters.  The way I deployed was so my Spear units faced his Khorne and Daemonettes, Sword Masters facing towards the Seekers and Phoenix Guard across from the Bloodletters too.
  • First turn sees me push models forward but not greedily.  Eagle1 flies near a building and my White Lions angle behind a medium sized building so I can assist the Lion Spears.  PG Mage bunker moves up 5" and casts Miasma on his Daemonettes.  He makes me re-roll but I still IF and everything is reduced by 1.  Eagle2 flies forward on an angle towards his Seekers forcing a bait so my Sword Masters can get some.
  • His turn sees the Seekers charge the Eagle and I promptly flee.  He fails to catch but moves up some but not as long as I hoped.  The rest of his units semi-march and they move a bit long but they're far from charge range.  His magic gets thrown around for Dwellers but I dispel with ease because poor rolling.
  • My turn sees the Siren Song triggered on my Lion Spears and I take the charge.  I roll insanely well and I get in combat from 16" away.  My White Lions are confused where the Spears they were supposed to guard went.  Seeing that happen, I move up my White Lions, move up my other Spear regiment to cover the other Lion Spear's flank and re-position Eagle1 to block his Flesh Hounds from flank-charging my Spears.  My Sword Masters on the far right also rolls high for charges (a 10) and gets in combat with the Seekers from 15" away.  We both didn't see this coming and it was quite unexpected.  The right most Eagle flies back towards the army center.
  • Magic sees Miasma and Mindrazor go off IF on the Spear unit that hit combat and I promptly maul the Herald with ease.  Due to WS and I being nerfed by 3 and Spearmen attacking in 3 ranks on the charge, hitting on 3s and wounding on 2s, I inflict a good amount of kills on the unit.  He attacks back, lose by 3 and takes his Unstable tests.  My Sword Masters, chew through his Seekers and surge forward an almighty 6 inches to get shot to shit by the Flamers.
  • His next phase sees the Flesh Hounds charge the middle Eagle who takes it to the face.  Since his Fiends couldn't get around the building his big block of Daemonettes and my Spears were fighting by, he had to take the long route around.  They sure can move though, so he positions by the rear of my Spears.  His Khorne Daemons also charge my PG mage bunker and fails the charge, even with Icon of Endless War.  He ends just a little bit short and sad times are to be had.  Magic sees him successfully cast +2T on his Bloodletters after I fail to dispel.  Of course, his Flamers murders all but 5 of my Sword Masters but they hold on double 1s.  Combat sees Eagle1 perish horribly and him re-positioning his Flesh Hounds to the flank of my Lion Spears again.
  • Next turn, I block his Fiends with my Eagle and re-direct them into nothingness.  I charge my White Lions into the side of his Flesh Hounds and my Spears run into his Bloodletters.  My Sword Masters charge his Flamers because I'm 8" away and I get in there with ease.  Magic sees Mindrazor IF on the Spears (on Bloodletters) and he makes me re-roll my doubles.  I roll another doubles and things are sad.  On top of this, I also get off Miasma on the Bloodletters and nerf them by 2.  Since the Slaneesh Herald is gone, my other Spears maul his Daemonettes but they strike back with titanic fury, killing a bunch of Spears.  Combat is closer than I thought and the daemongirls continue to hold.  My Sword Masters chop down a good amount of the Flamers and they swung back, killing none in return, only to be killed by Unstable.  They reform into the rear of the Bloodletters.  The Razorspears ASF into the Herald with 6 attacks and he lives through bad rolls and good ward saves.  The rest of the Bloodletters are not so lucky and many are fell, but not before they swung back and kill a good amount of Spears.  He loses combat but rolls well to hold.  The White Lions kill off the rest of the Flesh Hounds and then overrun into the Horrors who did practically nothing all game.
  • On his turn, he has no choice but to charge my Eagles and I re-direct him into no where.  The last Eagle dies but his death was justified because his Fiends did nothing and his Seekers got lucked by the SMs.  In magic, I let Throne of Vines through, dispel Regen on the Bloodletters, let Flesh to Stone go on the Daemonettes so I can Sigil his Dwellers on my Phoenix Guard and remove it from the game.  Combat from the White Lions sacs the Horrors even with the Champion switched by the Changeling, the Lion Spears lose combat to the T5 Daemonettes but holds firmly, and the Bloodletters continue to get mauled by my MR Spears.  The Eagle's death sees his Fiends turn towards my Phoenix Guard, who just looks at them with confusion.
  • On my turn, I clean up the majority of his army with IF MR on the Spears vs. Bloodletters (who are now rear-charged by the Sword Masters) and Withering on the Daemonettes.  The winds of magic have been in my favor all game and every doubles that he forced me to re-roll has turned into another.  Seeing the seemingly unstoppable Elves trounce through the majority of his army with little to no opposition, we call the game here.

Post-game thoughts:
  • Pretty lucky overall this game.  Book went off IF every time with no miscasts.  The winds were also plentiful, giving me ~8 dice every phase and he couldn't stop my magic no matter what.
  • This just shows how powerful a Book list is because it literally overrides any weakness the High Elves have in combat and deliver decisive results where you want it, when you want it.  It also allows you to make bolder plays because you can take on enemies you otherwise wouldn't.  If you think about it, it also makes the herald buffs quite useless for the Daemons.
  • ASF and re-rolls really, really hurt Daemons.  The biggest worry was the Daemonette Herald but once she was done, the rest of the unit just took a beating every turn.
  • I played the Eagles nicely, and they do wonders in every game I play with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment