Thursday, December 24, 2015

Armada: Ackbar and Mon Mothma's fleet

All dead.

Out of craziness, I've decided to swap out my MC80 for a couple of games so I can have fun with my MC30c.  One of the biggest problems that I've noticed in my playstyle is my general desire to do lots of damage and play with maneuverable ships at the same time.  This is probably just the Eldar player in me and one of the reasons I've basically included Engine Techs into all of my lists.  Also having played with TRC90s in every game since I entered the Vassal tournament a few weeks ago, I can't stop fielding it.  With that in mind, I got to thinking that I should try a few games without the MC80 but with Ackbar as a force multiplier in my fleet still.  The MKII is already a pretty fantastic ship and I figured why not, let's get more ships in there for the points and take the MC30c out of mothballs.

Behold, the interchangeable list that should work with both Ackbar and Mon Mothma depending on playstyle.  With the 8 points that you save with Mon over Ackbar, you can buy APTs on the Scout Frigate and just call it a day.

ACKACK
Author: HERO

Faction: Rebel Alliance
Points: 391/400
Commander: Admiral Ackbar

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Fire Lanes
Navigation Objective: Dangerous Territory

[ flagship ] Assault Frigate Mark II B (72 points)
-  Admiral Ackbar  ( 38  points)
-  Raymus Antilles  ( 7  points)
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
-  Heavy Turbolaser Turrets  ( 6  points)

MC30c Scout Frigate (69 points)
-  Foresight  ( 8  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)

CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)

CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)

4 YT-2400s ( 64 points)

The playstyle here changes drastically depending on who I have as my commander.  With so many Evades in the list, you can go purely defensive and just run a death by a thousand papercuts with Mon Mothma.  Her boardstate also makes Foresight basically unkillable in most cases, but the difficulty of the list drastically increases.  In order for you to capitalize on the most damage possible, you will need to run closer to the enemy, utilize those blue dice more readily, and perform multiple double-arc attacks to reach the same level of power that Ackbar offers.

Ackbar naturally benefits ships that can throw out red dice, and even more so for TRC90s.  Both the TRC90s and MC30c can throw out 4-5 dice from the side with CF, and firepower of this magnitude cannot be repelled so readily.  I actually chose to go with Raymus and HTTs over Intel/XI7s in this list because of a number of factors:  HTTs work better with Gunnery Teams since Intel Officer can only apply to one target a time.  HTTs also fit well in the theme that I'm applying damage that's spread out all over the place because almost for sure, my opponent will already be spending Redirects.  Since I don't have the accuracy bonus of Home One being applied to my ships, a lot of damage spread out will be more effective than one ship gunning for hull.  Not to mention that HTTs can apply its own form of control without dedicating an officer slot, so Raymus can do his business.  This involves activating all of the YTs with my psuedo squadron-4, getting the full benefit of CF, repairing with 6 points, and going from speed 3 to 1 with extra yaw.  Since the MKII is noticeably more fragile than the MC80, Raymus and HTTs will work better for me in this kind of list.

Let me know what you think, and remember that you can basically swap out commanders based on your playstyle.  You have 4 ships, a great bid, and autonomous YTs so you can spam those Concentrate Fires.  Have at it folks!

Random PSA from a game I just played: Take Leading Shots on your MC80.

No Brace either on his MC80.

No comments:

Post a Comment